Skip to main content

US Travel 2024 Part 1♥

It's been almost month since I came back from my fifteen day US trip.  Yes, I am back! ...to normal... to reality and of course back to work.

There are a lot of firsts in this trip: 1.) first travel to the US, 2) first travel after the pandemic, 3) first time to travel alone in a long haul flight...

When my visa was approved last year:  my plan really is to travel to the US in May.  Spring season in the US, I love Spring weather - not too cold, not hot - it's just right.  I really saved for this trip : waited for PAL seat sale to avail of cheaper air fare.  It's my personal choice to fly with Philippine Airlines because it's a direct flight:  from Manila to LAX and vice versa.

I booked my ticket through PAL website last December 2023.  The total amount I paid inclusive of Travel tax of P1,620.00 ($29.29) and PAL seat select ($50.00 x 2: Mnl - LAX/LAX - Mnl) is P63,489.43 ($1,102.29).  Then I purchased my travel insurance from China Bank at P3,128.30.  Though PAL also offers travel insurance when you book your flight with them but it's around P5,000.00+ so I opted to get it from a bank.  Total expense for air fare and travel insurance is P66,617.73.  It's really more feasible to purchase your air fare months before your flight, because if you book via PAL 1 or 2 months before your flight it would cost you around $1,711.70 air fare only - (approximately P102,702.00)

*Here are my travel tips: 
  • I chose a morning flight so when I arrived in the US - morning too!  (No wasted day) ;
  • Download eGovPh app on your phone, and fill-out the eTravel pass 72 hours prior arrival and departure.
  • Check in online on PAL app 24 hours before your flight.

Flight day:  My flight is at 11:35am, left home at 5 in the morning.  Arrived at the NAIA Terminal 1: 6:30am.  Since I have already paid my travel tax, I just went straight to PAL Bag drop counter.  Then went to Immigration:  the IO just asked me few questions regarding my flight and never required me to show documents. (It only took a minute or two) Then Security check before going to the Boarding gate.  The flight was on time... but the in-flight WIFI is not working.  One of the perks of being a Mabuhay Miles member was free in-flight WIFI, but unfortunately I can't connect. (Boo..)


Day 1 : Arrival in the US - I arrived safely at Tom Bradley International Airport (LAX) at 8:35am an hour earlier... (Very good ang PAL).  




First order of business: In & Out Burger...  Burger's delish, I also tried their Animal Style fries, but not really a fan of it.  I still prefer the classic fries.  Our second stop that day after resting for a few hours was - Topanga Mall.  


Dinner and window shopping at Topanga Mall...


Day 2:  Camarillo Premium Outlet shopping - unfortunately I was not able to take photos here.  I am so excited to shop (Charot! ahaha).  Camarillo Outlet houses around 160+ stores, so you cannot finish it in one day.

Day 3:  The Disney land day!  Click on this link to see my Disney adventure: The Most Magical Place on Earth.




Day 4:  After hearing mass at St. John Eudes, we had breakfast at Porto's.  First time to try their famous cheese rolls (it did not disappoint - its a different take on the usual cheese rolls  here in the Philippines - the likes of Mary Grace, French Baker etc.- it's flaky) .  Also tried their Carrot cake - it's so moist and delish.




We also watched the Beauty and The Beast Play at the Nocturne Theatre.  Know what? The one who played Belle is a Filipina named Alyssa Rafael.  She was great!  I knew from the start of the play that she's a Filipina.  After the show we were able to meet her at the lobby of the theatre, I asked her is she is a Filipino, and she said yes.  Another Pinoy talent...with her amazing performance as Belle will surely land her to Broadway.




Still on day 4... Welcome to Hollywood!




The TCL Chinese Theatre where the Oscar Awards are usually held.



At the famous Urban lights at the Los Angeles Country Museum of Art (LACMA).  The forest of street lights designed my Chris Burden.  The lights were installed in 2008 which consist of street lights from 1920s and 1930s.



Day 5 : Dinner with SQRT Barkada from high school at The Cheesecake Factory at Americana Glendale.  It was a wonderful reunion with my barkada whom I have not seen in years.  


First time to dine at Cheesecake Factory and I totally loved it!♥♥♥  The cheesecake is super yummy and the serving is sooo big I can't finish a slice in one seating.  


Blue berry & Red Velvet Cheesecake

Day 6: Shopping day at Petco, Ross and Macy's.  

Petco is a one stop shop pet store in the US, they also do grooming, veterinary check ups and training.  I accompanied my friend because her dog Macchi was scheduled to be neutered.  While their in the clinic I went to check our their shop.  Of course I bought some pasalubong for my baby dog Mochi.

Ross is a popular discount store in the US, they carry lots of designer brands and lots of good stuff.




Macy's - who would not know this department store.  I enjoyed walking around Macy's seeing all the stuff they have... I bought my Clinique cosmetics there... yes I admit I splurge a bit... (because the shade that I wanted is not available here in the Philippines).




Day 7: Went back to Camarillo for the stores I failed to go when we first went there... Still I did not finish the whole establishment, well maybe on my next trip...

That's my first week in Los Angeles... in between I do walks in the neighborhood in the morning to have a little exercise.  Watch out for part 2!♥









Comments