Thursday, September 08, 2022

10 things to know about a Maltipoo♥

source: Google

Maltipoo is a popular cross breed between maltese and toy or miniature poodle.  Even though they are not recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC) (because they are not pure bred) these dogs are considered designer breeds.   


I have a Maltipoo and his name is Mochi. He is two years old now and I wanted to share my experiences with him if you are planning to get one.

Here are the 10 things you need to know in owning a Maltipoo:

  1. Low shedding - that is why they are considered a hypoallergenic breed.  It does not shed that much so they are safe for allergy sufferers.  Based on my experience, some members of my family have allergies including me but luckily we don't have allergy attacks having a maltipoo in our home.  As per AKC there is no such thing as a 100% hypoallergenic dog.  Dander which is attached to a pet hair is what causes most dog allergies in people.  Since Maltipoo's coat is silky and soft it allows dander to fall out.  
  2. Smart and Easy to train - Maltipoos are intelligent that is why they are easy to train.  I remember training Mochi from Day 1 since I got him (he was less than 2 months old) and he was able to learn sit and wait after a 3 days of training.  Though he stays in his crate most of the time, he is trained to do his deed on his potty tray.  He does not pee or poop in his crate.  In training your dog you must be patient and most especially consistent.  Regular training does not only strengthen the bond between you and your beloved dog but it also builds confidence and mental stimulation of your furry friend.
  3. Sweet and Friendly - They are sweet and friendly very suitable for children (above 6 y/o) and seniors.  They are also considered as therapy dogs for those who need comfort and cheer.  Mochi arrived in our home in the time of the pandemic.  He is the one who kept me sane... He's truly my therapy dog.  He is friendly but really protective of us.  
  4. Separation Anxiety -  Yes this breed is prone to separation anxiety.  He always want to be with you... loves cuddles, hugs and follows you around.  I crate trained Mochi, so I will not have a hard time when I go to work.  I always talk to him every time I go out and tell him I will back right away  (it seems he listens and understand).
  5. Coat require regular maintenance - Maltipoo's coat needs regular brushing and trimming.  I brush Mochi's fur everyday to avoid matting.  And he regular visits his favorite grooming salon (Mr. Paws) every 5 to 6 weeks.
  6. Small size - The average size of a maltipoo ranges from 8 to 14 inches. (Measured from front paws to shoulders. Its average weight is from 5 to 20 pounds.  Mochi is the smallest in his litter at 2 years old he stands 11 inches and weighs 4 kilos (8.8lbs).  Because of their small size they are fragile, can easily be injured that is they are not suitable for children under 7 years old.
  7. Protective - They are very protective of their home especially their owners.  If they feel that there is an imminent threat they will bark continuously to alert it's owners.  But you can't count on them to provide you any kind of protection but they are always on high alert and great alarm dogs.  They can also be territorial, this means that they bark when someone walks or knocks on your door. (They are not really barkers except for this situations)
  8. Behavior - Maltipoos are highly affectionate that is why they are perfect for first time dog owners.  They are also friendly, loyal, sweet and playful. 
  9. Appearance and Color - They are forever young dogs, because they maintain their puppy-like looks. And because of their poodle heritage they also look like tiny little teddy bears.  Since Maltipoos are cross breed between maltese and poodle they come in variety of colors and patterns : white, red, apricot, black, bi-colors, tri-colors and etc.  Mochi is bi-color: Apricot + White.
  10. Sensitive to loud sound/noises - Well most dogs are super sensitive to loud sound. They have noise anxiety, they fear loud noises like the thunderstorms and fire crackers.  I remember Mochi vomited a couple of times when he first experienced thunderstorm.  I freaked out and really did not know what to do, I called my VET cousin and told me to wrap him with a blanket and cuddle him.  Aside from cuddles, I also tried to distract him, by playing with him every time there is a thunderstorm.  Now he manages it... but I always check on him if he is okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...