Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Is your dog a picky eater? - Here's what I did to my fur baby♥

source: istockphotos


Is your dog a picky eater?  Honestly, few months ago I have experienced this with Mochi (my maltipoo).  He refuses to eat his food.  I feed him Royal Canin kibbles eversince I got him, but as time goes by he does not want to eat it and ended up vomiting a yellowish foam.  Of course as a first time fur parent I was so concerned and called my cousin Vet right away.  And she told me that "nalipasan lang yan ng gutom" - the yellow foam usually means that the stomach is empty and the bile causes stomach irritation.  I tried a lot of things like: adding wet dog food, food toppers, but after few weeks he will not eat them again.  I also tried not feeding him if he does not want to eat when I give him his meals.  But I feel guilty afterwards. :(

So what I did?  I researched of course where else but online.. haha... I browsed the web and watch couple of videos on YouTube.  I still give him Dry Kibble dog food because it contains complete nutrients that our dog needs, but I add the following human foods that are safe for our fur babies.

  • Chicken breast, liver and gizzard - I cook (boil) these without any seasoning.  I add them alternately to the dry kibble adding a little chicken broth so the kibble will absorb it;
I also add vegetables with the chicken (whichever is available at home).  I cook them together with the chicken without seasoning. 
  • Sweet Potato (Camote/Kamote); 
  • Squash (Kalabasa);    
  • French or Green Beans (Baguio beans);
  • Carrots;
  • Broccoli
  • Salmon - I know this is kind of expensive, but whenever we have this at home I also give him a little piece.  I just cook it in water on a pan, like frying without oil. 
At the moment, this works for him.  He loves the chicken with these veggies.  I also give him cheat days... If we have roasted chicken I give him an itsy bitsy piece.  

Here are the other foods that is safe for dogs:
  • Vegetables: Cauliflower, celery, pumpkin, chayote;
  • Fruits: Apples, banana, cucumber, pineapple, strawberry, blueberry, oranges, ;
  • .Meat : Turkey, beef, pork
  • Others: Egg (Chicken/Quail), Honey

Other notes:

I have a regular feeding time for Mochi and I still practice removing his bowl when he does not want to eat. (And guaranteed that on his next meal time he will surely finish it).  I make sure to provide him clean, fresh water which is readily available on his crate.  

Hope this helps...

xo,
Chiq♥  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...