Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Menopause and weight gain♥


source: google (ctto)



Have you experienced fitting your favorite outfit and it does not fit anymore?  Or your clothes size started from Small and now you are either Large or Extra Large.  It's really depressing, right?!

As people get older, based on my personal experience maintaining our usual weight becomes really difficult i.e., even if we don't really change our eating habits.  Honestly this had brought me a lot of stress and anxiety especially when I turned 50 last January.  Yes, I am aware that weight gain as we grow old is inevitable but let's face it this really affects us.  Especially when someone comes up to you and tell you: "Uy, ang taba mo!"  (Hey, you gained weight!)  Things we don't really want to hear, especially when you are in your peri menopause or menopause because women are more sensitive during this stage in their lives. 

I exercise regularly, walk and use stairs instead of using the elevator and the escalators at work... I am always on the go and moving.  As much as possible I watch what I eat, yes I am guilty of stress eating during the pandemic but I tried to do Zumba almost everyday during the lockdown: but still had problems with my weight especially around my abdomen.  Aside from aging, hormonal changes (for women) also cause weight gain. 

What causes this aside from aging and hormonal changes?

According to the some of the things a read about weight gain at menopause : 

Genetic factors also play a vital role in weight gain.  If your parents or relatives carry extra weight around the abdomen, you are most likely to have it.  

Another factor is your lifestyle:  if you don't exercise regularly, unhealthy eating and not having enough sleep.  Not having enough sleep will make us feel tired and we tend to snack more which results from more calorie intake.

What should we do? 

  • Exercise or Physical activity - we need to move more...  as what I have said earlier walk and use the stairs. Instead of just lying down when your at home find something to do. Let's work it, girl!
  • Watching what you eat - Eating less really helps in losing weight.  And eating more vegetables or plant based meals can help us lose excess pounds.  Avoid snacking in between meals and try using a smaller plate this will help you control your portions.  Eating less does not mean depriving yourself completely.  You can eat red meat like steak, chicken thigh but in limited quantities.
  • Limit your sweets - We all know that sugar is one of the things that contribute to weight gain.  I am sometimes guilty of this.  I am not into cakes, chocolates, ice creams and other sweet desserts.  The problem with me is that I love sweet drinks.  At the moment I tried limiting it and do it on weekends.
  • Limit Alcohol - Alcoholic beverages also add excess calories to your diet.  Lucky me, I don't drink alcohol. 
  • Seek help and support from friends, family and relatives to help you cope with this lifestyle changes.  
Losing excess pounds requires commitment, self control and patience.  Let's do this together for a better and healthier middle aged women like us.


xo,
Chiq♥


  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...