Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Grateful for 30♥

source: Google.com


Just like that I am celebrating my 30 years in Sta Lucia Realty & Dev., Inc.  Time really flies so fast.  I started working when I was 20 (even turned 21 few days after working).  As I look back, I never thought that I will be staying in the company this long.  Honestly, it's hard to work in a company when you are related with the owners. (well that is the other half of Sta. Lucia).  At first I did not want to work there because I am afraid that people may think that I got in because I am a relative.  I believe I am capable of finding a company where I can showcase my abilities.  Being a graduate from a reputable university - University of Santo Tomas I know I can make it.  I was already accepted in a well-known bank in Makati when my mother told me that my uncle talked to her - because they badly need an accounting graduate.  To make the long story short, being the "obedient" daughter - I said yes... but I gave myself 2 or 3 years.  

Fast forward the 2 to 3 years became 5, then 10... It's not a bed of roses...  I experienced a lot: from my co-employees not liking me (because they say I am a spy), they assume that I get special treatment.  I am completely aware that all eyes are on me.  That is why I am very careful with my actions: I followed every rule, I was never late...  I gave my best in every responsibility that was given to me.  In 1998, I was chosen as our department's best employee.. (at least my hard work paid off after 5 years of working).

Then in 2008, I felt there was no progression with my job,  that I need to move and seek for career growth.  Because for the past 15 years of working there: I did not see any professional advancement for  the upcoming years and time is running out for me because I am already 36.  I tried applying and I got accepted (it felt great that after 15 years, I will still be accepted in a different company).  I resigned, had a phone conversation with the company's president and he did not allowed me.  Bottom-line - I stayed.  

2023 - There are still intrigues that came along the way... but I don't care anymore.  I felt I am too old to dwell on them.  I just want to work and do my job... no company is perfect, but one of the things my Lola (grandmother) taught me is that - "Don't bite the hands that feed you."  So I am grateful to the company that helped me achieve my goals, especially to our President and CEO who believed in my capabilities.  Looking forward to the next 5 or 10 years until my retirement. (*wink!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...